Yesterday was cruddy (weather wise) and I wanted a simple yet effective workout to perform at home. So, I designed this chest/triceps/abs workout to do in my hallway, utilizing equipment I had on hand, my stairs and a dining room chair.
Many of these exercises can be done WITHOUT the use of equipment. For example: pushups can be substituted in for the chest presses; basic squats can be substituted in for squat throws with the medicine ball; tricep dips on chair can be substituted in for the tricep kickbacks; planks can be substituted in for ab rollouts. Also, you can use kitchen pantry items as your weights if you don’t have any “typical” weights on hand. Just pick items that are heavy enough that by the 14th rep it is difficult and that they are NOT BREAKABLE. 🙂
In each circuit, go exercise to exercise without rest. Rest 1 Minute after each circuit round. Move onto next circuit once all rounds from previous circuit are completed. As far as reps, aim for 15-20 at a weight that is challenging by the 2nd to last rep.
Run Stairs 3 mins
Circuit 1: Repeat 4 Times
- TRX Chest Presses- Low and Wide Stance
- Dumbbell Chest Presses on BOSU
- Dumbbell Chest Flyes on BOSU
- Decline Planks with Shoulder Tap on Stairs
- Decline Spiderman on Stairs
- Squat Throws w/ Medicine Ball
Circuit 2: Repeat 4 Times
- Decline Pushups on Stairs
- Tricep Dips on Chair with 1 Leg Elevated: Switch legs halfway through. (You can do a basic dip with legs bent. Elevating leg increases challenge)
- Walking Planks. (Feet on stairs for additional challenge)
- Kettlebell Tricep Kickbacks
Circuit 3: Repeat 3 Times
- Mountain Climbers: 40 Seconds
- Ab Rollouts w/ Ab Wheel: 15-20 reps
- Plank: 2 mins (Start with 30 seconds and progress by adding 15 seconds as it becomes easier)
If you are PRETTY (aka NOT DRIPPING IN SWEAT) by the end of the workout, then you did not push yourself hard enough.